Velocity and the Adventure Syndicate team up to create a film about what is possible when you take on physical, mental and emotional challenges you're not sure are possibleRead More
The GoByCycle 2016 project is now underway and we're looking to work with people in Inverness who would like to use their cars less and make more everyday journeys by bike or on foot. For more information, go to the GoByCycle page If you are interested, please fill in our form by clicking here!
We are able to support in a number of different ways, by offering:
- Cycling skills sessions to improve confidence on your bike (including accompanied commuting!)
- Bike maintenance sessions so you know how to fix your bike if you run into problems on your journey
- Safer routes advice – finding the quietest, most enjoyable ways to travel
- Advice on bikes, what to wear, how to stay safe
- Pedometers to motivate you while you walk
- Competitions to enter with the chance of winning prizes
- The option for you to tell us what would help you – if we can help you we will!
We're really excited! Our new project, Go ByCycle launches next week. We're going to be working across the city to do all we can to help get more people on bikes and on foot and out of cars.
You'll have gathered by now that at Velocity we think bikes are brilliant. We want more people to feel the enjoyment we get out of riding and we want to help make this happen- that's what Go ByCycle is all about.
Would you like to improve your confidence on the road? Know how to negotiate junctions? Feel happy riding round roundabouts? Understand how to use gears? Then get in touch to find out about our free Cycling Confidence sessions.
If the fear of mechanical failure keeps you off your bike then come along to a bike maintenance session where you'll be able to learn how to deal with common problems you might encounter along your route to work. We'll teach you how to fix a puncture, how to put a chain back on, and how your breaks and gears can be adjusted easily. Get in touch for more information.
Are you worried about busy traffic? We can help you discover the quietest route from your house to your work and talk through solutions to any barriers, on or off the bike. We can help you think about how to make your journey as easy and as enjoyable as it can be- what to wear, how to carry things, how to be visible and safe.
Are you up for a competition? We'll be running walking and cycling challenges throughout the year- let us know if that's what will get you out of your car and into the fresh air and we'll sign you up!
Get in touch- GoBycycleInverness@gmail.com
To mark Bike Week 2016, HItravel and Velocity Cafe and Bicycle Workshop have teamed up for a free two-day event which is being held at the Eastgate Centre and Falcon Square in Inverness - on Tuesday 14 and Wednesday 15 June, between 10.30 am and 4.30 pm.
Come and visit us!
- Bring your bike along to Falcon Square where our Dr Bike mechanics will give it a free check and undertake a basic repair service. We’ll also be able to provide advice on further servicing that your bike may need.
- There is also the chance to try your hand at Velocity’s mini-skills course. Please bring your bike along to Falcon Square to test your balance and co-ordination skills (Wednesday only)
- Sign up for Cycling Skills courses and Bike Mechanics sessions
The HItravel stall will be on the ground floor of the Eastgate Centre for information and advice about cycling (and walking and public transport use) in and around Inverness. The opportunity exists to:
- Sign up for a personalised travel challenge for the chance to win a bike, donated by Halfords. There are also many cycle-related giveaways for everyone who comes along.
- Pick up a printed copy of the new Inverness Active Travel Map, which shows walking and cycling routes around the city. The map is also available to download by visiting the HItravel website
- If your bike needs servicing or repairs that can’t be done on the day, then HItravel has 30 bike shop service vouchers to give away (available on a first come, first served basis).
So, whether you’re new to cycling, haven’t ridden for a while, or cycle regularly, hopefully we have some useful advice or inspiration for you.
Highland Councillor Audrey Sinclair and HITRANS Board Member said: “Bike Week is a great opportunity for anyone interested in active travel to find out more about how they can lead a healthy lifestyle in and around Inverness"
We say "Bikes are Brilliant! We want to share the love!"
Velocity is marking the end of its GoByCycle Project by holding a celebration in the Velocity Cafe on Thursday March 30th.
We are really sad that the project is ending, but we want to celebrate everything that it has achieved over the last year.
Velocity's GoByCycle project has used individualised support to encourage and enable people to make the shift from cars to cycling and walking. We have developed individually tailored support packages working alongside employees and school children across the city who say they could make the shift to cycling and walking but would benefit from support to do so, pushing active travel towards the target of 10% by 2020.
We adopted a flexible approach throughout the project where participants have told us what would help them ride or walk to work. We have held individual cycle skills sessions on the roads, discussed and provided information about the fastest or safest way to work, what to wear, what bike to buy AND provided motivation in the form of a competition!
We have been working with local primary schools over the year supporting and encouraging children (including providing Bikeability training sessions) - to cycle, walk and scoot to school in place of being dropped off by car.
It's been a successful and busy year!
It is possible to use velocity cafe for events.
Late Night Thursdays
If your event is open to the public, it may be possible to use our space for free on a Thursday evening, when we open until 9pm. Thursday nights work well for events like craft nights, music or spoken word. Check out our events diary to see some of the events that we are hosting.
If you'd prefer exclusive use of the space you can hire velocity for your event. Room only hire is £30 for the first hour and £15 per hour after that (plus VAT). We can have cake and coffee available on arrival if you like.
Velocity can provide catering for you event, from coffee and shortbread to canapés or meals. - ask us for more details.